021 – Is a Real Estate a Good Investment?
“My parents bought a home for $300k 30 years ago now it’s worth $1mm”
About 4% rate of return in this example
- Lots many variables:
- Cost of renting
- Interest rates
- Property taxes & maintenance costs
- Cash for down payment
- Is it a good investment compared to what?
- S&P 500 long-term return is 10%
- Historically, housing prices have averaged around 4% per year
- Huge differences in different parts of the country, but this is national average
- Shouldn’t be viewed as a purely financial decision
- What about owning a home as a rental property
- Rental Income – cash on cash return
ENJOY THE SHOW?
Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Sticher, Spotify, or Google Play.
Leave us a review on iTunes.
Have a money question you want us to answer? Submit one here